Sweden beats Colombia 1-0 in Women`s World Cup
Leverkusen, Germany: Jessica Landstrom scored in Sweden`s 1-0 win over Colombia in hot and humid conditions at the Women`s World Cup on Tuesday.
Colombia, playing in its first World Cup game, had a player suspended before the match when reserve goalkeeper Yineth Varon failed a drug test taken on Saturday.
Landstrom, the player of the match who had a number of chances, scored from close range in the 57th minute, set up by a fine cross from Lotta Schelin on the right wing.
Colombia`s star, 17-year-old Yoreli Rincon, was kept in check.
Neither side was at their best before 21,106 fans at Bay Arena, their efforts drained by 90-degree temperatures. Fans coped by dousing themselves with water.
In the other Group C match, the United States was playing North Korea.
There was drama in the second minute when Schelin beat Colombia goalkeeper Sandra Sepulveda, only for her shot to be cleared off the line by Natalia Gaitan. Moments later, Caroline Seger set up Schelin, whose shot was parried by Sepulveda and cleared off the line again despite a defensive mix-up between Andrea Peralta and Colombia captain Gaitan.
Landstrom had a terrible miss in the 13th — after the ball was played back by Schelin — when she missed from close range.
Colombia took a while to settle, then displayed some good individual technique despite some physical challenges from the Swedes. Carmen Rodallega`s shot was blocked, and she sent another well wide before the interval.
After Landstrom scored, Rodallega nearly tied it in the 66th when her speculative effort landed on the top of the net. Therese Sjogran went close before substitute Sofia Jakobsson drew a good save from Sepulveda in the closing stages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what