Swine flu: 2 more patients critical in Pune
Pune (Maharashtra): The city of Pune is fast emerging as the epicenter of swine flu outbreak in the country, with two more patients reported to be critical and on ventilator support on Friday.
The two patients – a 36-year-old Ayurveda doctor and a 35-year-old pharmacist – have both tested positive for swine flu or H1N1 influenza A virus and are admitted to government-run Sassoon General Hospital. Both are in critical but stable condition, doctors said. A definite report on their condition is expected later in the day, they added.
The World Health Organisation has already declared the swine flu outbreak as a global pandemic.
India’s first death from the virus too was reported in this city, which has of sorts led to panic here with people thronging to hospitals to get themselves tested for the virus as a precautionary measure. The government has, however, assured that there was nothing to panic and that everything was under control of the civic authorities.
However, the number of positive cases has been rising steadily here and the total currently stands at 129.
The condition the 36-year-old doctor, who was admitted
to the ICU of the Sassoon General Hospital this morning, is
"serious" and he is on ventilator support, Dean Dr Arun Jamkar
told reporters here.
He said the patient who was suffering from upper
respiratory tract (URT) infection for the last few days and
had developed breathlessness after which he was admitted to
However, the condition of the 35-year-old pharmacist,
who was admitted in a quarantined ward of the same hospital
last night, improved slightly today.
"The patient had a history of rheumatic heart disease
and had tested positive for H1N1 virus yesterday. His
condition is now stabilising," Jamkar said.
The pharmacist, first admitted to a private hospital
in Hadaps area, was shifted to the Sassoon in an ambulance
with ventilator support last night.
In both the cases, there was no "contributory history"
of contacts for spread of the virus, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed