Swine flu cases in West Bengal rise to 44
Kolkata: Five people tested positive for the Influenza A(H1N1) virus in Kolkata on Monday, taking the total number of swine flu cases to 44 in West Bengal, a health official said.
"Five people have tested positive today (Monday), raising the tally to 44 in the state so far. They have been admitted to Beliaghata Infectious Disease (ID) Hospital," Tapas Sen, the state`s nodal officer for swine flu, said.
The state has not reported any death from the virus so far.
"Presently, a total of 23 swine flu patients -- 15 patients at Beliaghata ID Hospital and eight at MR Bangur Hospital -- are admitted in state-run healthcare units with H1N1 infection," he said.
With only two designated swine flu hospitals in the city almost packed to capacity, the state health department also plans to open isolation wards at one more hospital in the satellite township of Salt Lake.
"We`re planning to open more isolation wards in other hospitals also so that we can provide treatment to many other patients," Sen said.
A high-level meeting chaired by state chief secretary Ashok Mohan Chakraborty has also been scheduled August 18 to assess the swine flu situation in the state.
The state`s school education department has already issued advisories to the district school authorities about the essential measures required to be taken to combat the infection among children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video