Tagore`s city pays tributes on his sesquicentennial
Kolkata: Rabindranath Tagore`s city today paid tributes to the bard on his 150th birth anniversary with a series of programmes including cultural functions, exhibitions, book releases and film shows.
Traditional recitals of Tagore songs were organised in the morning in his North Kolkata ancestral home at Jorasanko Thakurbari, now the main campus of the Rabindra Bharati University (RBU), and also at the state-run Rabindra Sadan auditorium.
RBU vice-chancellor Karuna Sindhu Das, along with members of the university`s senior faculty, paid tributes to Gurudev in his room at Thakurbari which was kept open to the public throughout the day.
With elections to the state Assembly still on, Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and his cabinet colleagues stayed away from the sesquicentennial functions keeping in mind the Election Commission`s model code of conduct.
The programmes organised by the state government, however, would continue for a fortnight from today in various city auditoriums.
Governor M K Narayanan was scheduled to inaugurate a programme under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture, which will be participated by renowned artistes and cultural troupes from both India and Bangladesh. Pramod Mankin, the Minister of State for Culture in the Bangladesh Government, will also be present.
`Tagoreana` in its various aspects would come alive in four exhibitions at the Indian Council for Cultural Relation (ICCR)`s Rabindranath Tagore centre.
While two separate exhibitions will highlight `Tagore in Advertisement` and `Tagore and Films` another will focus on `Tagore in Postage Stamps`. Yet another exhibition will showcase motifs from Tagore`s art in `Kantha` stitch.
A book, discussing Tagore`s reading habit and another on the poet`s universality hit the market today.
Many cultural NGOs organised screening of films based on Tagore`s works and discussions on them.
With the recent discovery of supplementary writings and doodles to the poet`s 1926 work `Lekhan,` a city-based publisher with support from the Visva-Bharati will bring out a facsimile edition of the additional works.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'