Tajiks riot in football match with president`s son
Dushanbe: At least 12 people were injured when Tajik football fans clashed in the southeast of the country following a match involving the president`s son, officials said on Wednesday.
Fans of the two clubs clashed after local team Ravshan lost 1-0 to Istiklol of the Tajik capital Dushanbe where Rustami Emomali, the eldest son of Tajik President Emomali Rahmon, plays as a striker.
"Twelve people were wounded, and 20 more of the most active hooligans have been detained," ministry spokesman Makhmadullo Asadulloyev said after the disturbances in the town of Kulyab following the match Tuesday evening.
Emomali, who is one of the club`s creators and sponsors, played in the match but was not harmed, police said. Reports said he was whisked away as the violence broke out.
The 23-year-old is also the head of the anti-smuggling department at the Tajik customs.
Ravshan fans threw "rocks, bricks, and plastic benches" from the seats in protest after they considered the winning goal to be have been scored from offside, Asadulloyev said.
"Police forces used tear gas as well as stun grenades," said Asadulloyev. "Hundreds of fans threw rocks at the guests` expensive cars, breaking several windows."
Police ended up escorting the visitors back to Dushanbe, about 200 kilometers away.
The clash between football fans was the first of its kind in Tajikistan, the poorest of the former Soviet republics, is a mostly mountainous nation of seven million people on the border with Afghanistan and western China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH