Taming inflation high on agenda: Pranab
New Delhi: Containing inflation is high on the government`s agenda and it is monitoring the price situation, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Friday.
"The government is monitoring price situation on regular basis and containment of inflation is high on its agenda," Mukherjee said in a written reply to a lawmaker`s question.
The minister’s response comes a day after the government data showed that food prices surged an annual 20 percent in early December.
It is due to supply shortages, the minister said referring to the high food inflation.
Rising food prices have contributed to a faster-than-expected 4.78 percent increase in the wholesale price index in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29