Taming inflation high on agenda: Pranab
New Delhi: Containing inflation is high on the government`s agenda and it is monitoring the price situation, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said on Friday.
"The government is monitoring price situation on regular basis and containment of inflation is high on its agenda," Mukherjee said in a written reply to a lawmaker`s question.
The minister’s response comes a day after the government data showed that food prices surged an annual 20 percent in early December.
It is due to supply shortages, the minister said referring to the high food inflation.
Rising food prices have contributed to a faster-than-expected 4.78 percent increase in the wholesale price index in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her