Tanzanian prosecutor probing BAE deal ‘feared for life’: WikiLeaks
Dodoma: Edward Hoseah, the Tanzanian prosecutor investigating a "dirty deal" by BAE to sell Tanzania an overpriced radar system, told US diplomats that "his life may be in danger”, according to secret US diplomatic cables released by the whistleblower website ‘Wikileaks’.
"Hoseah reiterated concern for his personal security ... saying he believed his life may be in danger ... He had received threatening text messages and letters and was reminded every day that he was fighting the `rich and powerful`," the Guardian quoted the cable, as saying.
BAE, Britain`s biggest arms company, would appear in court in London where its system of making secret payments to secure arms contracts would be officially detailed for the first time.
Every individual involved in the BAE scandal in Britain and Tanzania has escaped prosecution.
However, the arms giant agreed with the UK Serious Fraud Office (SFO) to pay GBP 30 million in corporate reparations and fines, provided the word "corruption" did not appear on the indictment because it could exclude the company from EU contracts.
The paper quoted the cable as saying that Hoseah met a US diplomat, Purnell Delly, in Dar es Salaam in July 2007, and claimed that he would be able to prosecute guilty individuals in the BAE case.
"He called the deal `dirty` and said it involved officials from the Ministry of Defence and at least one or two senior level military officers." it added.
Later, Hoseah appeared quite disappointed with the prospects for Tanzania`s anti-corruption struggle and his hopes to prosecute the "big fish" of corruption.
Referring to the detailed allegations against former leaders and their inner circles in the small African country, the cable said: "He told us point blank ... that cases against the Prime Minister or the president were off the table ...," adding that Hoseah found these senior politicians "untouchable".
"He said quietly: `If you attend meetings of the inner-circle, people want you to feel as if they have put you there. If they see that you are uncompromising, there is a risk’," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow