Taregna disappoints eclipse watchers
Taregna (Bihar): Cloud cover left thousands
of people gathered in Taregna, touted the best place to watch
the century`s longest total solar eclipse, disappointed on Wednesday
but the momentary darkness that enveloped the town was enough
to cheer the onlookers who burst into a collective applause.
This nondescript sub divisional town, 30 km from Patna,
where ancient astronomer Aryabhatta (476 AD) had set up an
observatory to track the movement of stars, was considered the
best place to view the event and drew the most footfalls from
home and abroad.
Astronomers, scientists besides the people in
thousands had gathered for the early morning show, but were
disappointed as they could not witness the actual eclipse
because of a cloudy sky.
Though the eclipse was not seen, darkness descended for
four minutes from 6:28 am and the sky watchers letting out a
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who along with his deputy
Sushil Kumar Modi and some ministerial colleagues had gathered
to watch the eclipse from the roof of a two-storey hospital,
said, "Like the light after darkness of an eclipse, the
darkness over Bihar will clear soon."
He said that government had already decided to set up
a university for technical education at Patna named after
On Taregna, Kumar said, "It has a glorious past.
Aryabhatta had set up an observatory here to observe stars."
He announced that the area would be developed as a hub
of scientific studies.
Two representatives from NASA and those from
Mumbai-based NGO SPACE were present at the site.
SPACE representative Amitabh Pandey briefed those
gathered on the eclipse and answered queries from the people
who had gathered in fields, railway lines and rooftops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'