Tariff needs to be viewed from consumers` perspective: Sarma
New Delhi: Telecom regulator TRAI today said
the issue of tariff needs to be viewed keeping in mind
consumer interest and long-term impact on the industry after
Bharti Airtel sought intervention from the regulator on
`predatory pricing` by some players.
"The whole issue of tariff needs to be viewed from
various angles. On the one hand, there is a need for the
consumer to have affordable rates and on the other the issue
of how tariff affects the industry in the long term," TRAI
Chairman J S Sarma told reporters here.
Both these factors have to be kept in mind when
deliberating on the issue of tariff, he added.
TRAI would take all these issues under consideration, he
said, adding, "At this stage, there is nothing in the
offing...We are examining the matter. As and when we decide to
look into it, it will be through a consultative process."
Talking about any delays in the roll-out of mobile number
portability, Sarma said, "December 31 has been decided...The
deadline has been fixed by the government, the DoT, it`s a
part of the licence condition so I expect as a regulator that
these people will abide by the licence condition but whether
the date will be extended or not is not a decision that a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back