Tata Steel hints at steel price revision
Kolkata, Dec 21: Tata Steel today hinted at increasing prices of its products.
"What has gone down has to go up," Tata Steel managing director H M Nerurkar said at a conference at the CII-Suresh Neotia Centre of Excellence for Leadership today when asked about his view on steel prices after the PSU steel maker SAIL hinted at price revision from January.
Nerurkar, however, declined to divulge more.
Several steel makers in the country are expected to revise prices upwards from early next year to cash in on the uptick in demand. Earlier state-run SAIL, private players Bhushan Steel, Essar, JSW Steel had said they were likely to hike prices of their products by January 2010 as the demand was picking up.
Steel prices had gone down globally by USD 100-USD 150 a tonne to USD 400 per tonne during the past few months on account of influx of cheap imports from China. But in the past month prices have gone up worldwide by USD 50 on good demand.
Speaking about Corus, Nerurkar said Tata Steel would leverage the capabilities of Corus in construction space back in India. He said the European steel market was shrinking and it needed to make profits from lower production.
He also expects more orders from European Union in the construction space after it got two orders from Europe recently including one from France.
Speaking about challenges for leadership, he mentioned that one among the challenges for Tata Steel is managing the talent as some 25-30 per cent of the managers will retire from the company in the next 2-3 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged