Tatas to invest Rs 1.2 lakh crore in 5 years
New Delhi: Diversified business house Tata Group will invest up to Rs 1.2 lakh crore across sectors in the domestic market in the next five years as it looks to more than double its revenues to USD 150 billion (about Rs 6.64 lakh crore) by then.
The Tata Group, which has over 90 operating companies, will put in half of the planned investment in power sector, while the other significant portions will be in steel and automobile sectors.
"We have become a significant player globally in each of the sectors that we are present in. In the next five years, the pace of growth of the group will continue... The current investment assessment for the next five years is around Rs 1.1 lakh crore to Rs 1.2 lakh crore," Tata Industries Managing Director Kishor A Chaukar told.
Tata Industries is one of the investment arms of Tata Group.
This investment has been planned essentially for the Indian market and it will be pumped in across various sectors like power, steel, automobiles, telecommunications and chemicals, he said while announcing the ambitious roadmap for doubling the turnover of the group in less than five years from now.
Chaukar said the Mumbai-based conglomerate has already invested about Rs 70,000 crore in the last three years and Rs 1.2 lakh crore would be in addition to this.
When asked about the expected revenue of the group after the investment will be made, Chaukar said: "It will be more than double in less than five years. I think it`ll be around USD 140 billion to USD 150 billion."
The group has expanded to nearly USD 68 billion at present from about USD 8 billion 10 years ago and it will maintain such growth, he added.
Asked about the mode of funding this investment, he said it will be a mix of internal accruals and debt.
"We are generating a considerable amount of internal accruals and at the same time also reducing current debt, which will enable us to raise debt. For this investment, the debt and equity ratio will be around 2:1," Chaukar said.
The Tata companies clocked an overall revenue of USD 67.4 billion (around Rs 3.19 lakh crore) in 2009-10. Out of this, about 57 per cent was contributed by the domestic businesses.
Elaborating on its investment plans, Chaukar said: "The major sector will probably be the power as we are constructing an Ultra Mega Power Project in Gujarat and it requires quite a substantial amount. About half of the planned investment, that is Rs 50,000 crore-Rs 60,000 crore will be by Tata Power in the next five years."
The other significant investment will be in the steel sector, for which the group has earmarked an investment of Rs 35,000 crore, over and above Rs 15,000 crore to Rs 16,000 crore that has already been invested, he said.
"Besides, Rs 12,000 crore will be invested by Tata Motors and Rs 8,000 crore-Rs 10,000 crore will be in the telecommunications division," he added.
While the rest will be in other verticals such as chemicals and Tata Sons that puts in capital in areas like retail, Chaukar said.
Asked whether Tata Group is looking for further acquisition, Chaukar said as and when opportunities come we will look at it.
The group has operations in over 80 countries across six continents and its companies export products and services to 85 countries.
The group, which employs around 3.95 lakh people across the world, is present in seven sectors -- communications and information technology, engineering, materials, services, energy, consumer products and chemicals.
The major Tata group entities include Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Power, Tata Chemicals, Tata Global Beverages, Indian Hotels and Tata Communications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings