Team for B`desh tri-series; Sachin rested
Mumbai: The team for the upcoming Tri-series in Bangladesh was announced on Friday. The trio of Ishant Sharma, Pragyan Ojha and Praveen Kumar was left out owing to their bad run of form.
Sachin Tendulkar has been rested for the Tri-series from January 4-13. He will play in the two Tests against Bangladesh after the Tri-series. Yuvraj Singh made a comeback into the team with his fitness improving vastly.
It was good news for Rohit Sharma and Amit Mishra as the two have been selected for the tri-series. Also, Ashok Dinda and S Sreesanth got an entry back into the squad due to some recent solid performances.
"Sachin Tendulkar desired to be rested for the Tri-series at Bangladesh. He will play the Tests against Bangladesh," Srinivasan said in a BCCI press release issued tonight.
Virender Sehwag, who led India when Mahendra Singh Dhoni was unavailable following the two-match suspension for slow over-rate, has been named vice-captain of the Tri-series squad.
Rohit Sharma, who figured in India`s Twenty20 squad, has also been recalled for the Tri-series in Dhaka from January 4-13.
Apart from India, hosts Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are the two other teams.
The Tri-series will be followed by a two-match Test series in Chittagong (Jan 17-21) and Dhaka (Jan 24-28).
The team to be captained by Dhoni has six specialist batsmen, two specialist spinners and five pacemen. It has one all-rounder in Ravindra Jadeja who has been quite effective as left-arm spinner and two wicketkeepers in captain Dhoni and Dinesh Karthik.
In the absence of Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir is likely to open the innings with his Delhi teammate Sehwag while it will be interesting to see who bats at the crucial number three position.
Zaheer Khan will spearhead the pace attack which also has Ashish Nehra and Sreesanth besides the two rookies Sudip Tyagi and Ashok Dinda.
Squad for the fifth ODI against Sri Lanka: M S Dhoni (Captain), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Sudeep Tyagi, Dinesh Karthik, S Sreesanth, Ashok Dinda, Pragyan Ojha.
Sqaud for the Tri-series: M S Dhoni (Captain), Virender Sehwag (Vice-Captain), Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Yuvraj Singh, Sudeep Tyagi, Dinesh Karthik, S Sreesanth, Ashok Dinda, Amit Mishra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?