Team Profile: Australia
Australia made it to the 2010 Hockey World Cup after clinching the Oceania Cup in 2009 where they demolished Samoa 26-0, and then went on to beat New Zealand 3-1 in the final.
One of the favourites to lift the coveted trophy this time around, the Kookaburas last won the World Cup back in 1986. Ric Charlesworth, a member of the winning squad is now the head coach and is aiming to become only the second player after Dutch Hans Jorritsma to win the Cup both as player and coach.
The Aussies have a bunch of formidable and talented players including current FIH Player of the Year Jamie Dwyer, who has won the award three times and is the only player to be awarded both the Young Player of the Year and Player of the Year awards.
The Australians’ strength is the aggression with which they attack the ball while probably their only weakness is penalty corner, which has been a bit inconsistent in the recent past.
This will be the eleventh appearance in the mega event for the team from Down Under. Of the ten previous attempts, the Kangaroos have won the championship once in 1986 at London. They were the finalists in the last two world cups, losing both the times to Germany in the final battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport