Team Profile: Australia
Australia made it to the 2010 Hockey World Cup after clinching the Oceania Cup in 2009 where they demolished Samoa 26-0, and then went on to beat New Zealand 3-1 in the final.
One of the favourites to lift the coveted trophy this time around, the Kookaburas last won the World Cup back in 1986. Ric Charlesworth, a member of the winning squad is now the head coach and is aiming to become only the second player after Dutch Hans Jorritsma to win the Cup both as player and coach.
The Aussies have a bunch of formidable and talented players including current FIH Player of the Year Jamie Dwyer, who has won the award three times and is the only player to be awarded both the Young Player of the Year and Player of the Year awards.
The Australians’ strength is the aggression with which they attack the ball while probably their only weakness is penalty corner, which has been a bit inconsistent in the recent past.
This will be the eleventh appearance in the mega event for the team from Down Under. Of the ten previous attempts, the Kangaroos have won the championship once in 1986 at London. They were the finalists in the last two world cups, losing both the times to Germany in the final battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth