Team Profile: Spain
Spain stormed into the 2010 World Cup with a semifinal outing in the 2009 EuroHockey Nations Tournament, finishing fourth in the process. With a silver Olympic medal in the Beijing Olympics 2008, the team has set its sights on the ultimate prize of the hockey world as they come into India with a mission.
Lead by Pablo "Pol" Amat, the FIH Player of the Year (2008), who hails from the iconic ‘Amat’ lineage of Spainish hockey players, the team surely looks in good form. His partner striker, Santi Freixa, former FIH Player of the Year too (2004), has recovered from a major knee injury and the duo could very well be the difference in the outcome of the team’s final chances of a podium finish.
Though they have not been able to capture the final glory of the World Cup ever, the two silver finishes will give them some heart to aim for the top yet again. They are one of the five ever present nations in the World Cup with India, Germany, Pakistan and Netherlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video