Team Profile: Spain
Spain stormed into the 2010 World Cup with a semifinal outing in the 2009 EuroHockey Nations Tournament, finishing fourth in the process. With a silver Olympic medal in the Beijing Olympics 2008, the team has set its sights on the ultimate prize of the hockey world as they come into India with a mission.
Lead by Pablo "Pol" Amat, the FIH Player of the Year (2008), who hails from the iconic ‘Amat’ lineage of Spainish hockey players, the team surely looks in good form. His partner striker, Santi Freixa, former FIH Player of the Year too (2004), has recovered from a major knee injury and the duo could very well be the difference in the outcome of the team’s final chances of a podium finish.
Though they have not been able to capture the final glory of the World Cup ever, the two silver finishes will give them some heart to aim for the top yet again. They are one of the five ever present nations in the World Cup with India, Germany, Pakistan and Netherlands.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents