Team Profile: Spain
Spain stormed into the 2010 World Cup with a semifinal outing in the 2009 EuroHockey Nations Tournament, finishing fourth in the process. With a silver Olympic medal in the Beijing Olympics 2008, the team has set its sights on the ultimate prize of the hockey world as they come into India with a mission.
Lead by Pablo "Pol" Amat, the FIH Player of the Year (2008), who hails from the iconic ‘Amat’ lineage of Spainish hockey players, the team surely looks in good form. His partner striker, Santi Freixa, former FIH Player of the Year too (2004), has recovered from a major knee injury and the duo could very well be the difference in the outcome of the team’s final chances of a podium finish.
Though they have not been able to capture the final glory of the World Cup ever, the two silver finishes will give them some heart to aim for the top yet again. They are one of the five ever present nations in the World Cup with India, Germany, Pakistan and Netherlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'