Ever thought about how the famous soft toy came to be called “teddy.” Well there is an anecdote related to it. In November 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt and some of his friends went on a hunting trip to Mississippi. After hours of searching, Roosevelt and his group had not come across any wild animals. Finally, the group did track down and surround a helpless bear. One of the guides asked the President to shoot the bear so he could win a hunting trophy. The President refused, and news reporters throughout the country spread the story of Roosevelt`s kind act.
A famous cartoonist named Clifford Berryman drew a cartoon based on Roosevelt`s rescue of the bear. When a storeowner in Brooklyn saw the cartoon, he decided to make toy bears to sell in his shop. Michtom`s wife stuffed some bears with a little sewing and imagination. When they sold out in a few hours, Michtom decided to send Roosevelt a bear and get his endorsement. Roosevelt agreed and Michtom, along with a large wholesale company, Butler Brothers, began to create stuffed teddy bears and sell them everywhere. Michtom probably didn`t know it, but he had created a new piece of American heritage. Now teddy bears are sold in gift shops, flower shops, used in gift baskets, and just about everywhere. And they are a symbol of kindness, love, mushy feelings, innocence etc.
Nowadays, everyone knows these toys as Teddy Bears.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites