Teen assures India medal at President`s Cup
New Delhi: An 18-year-old Gaurav Bidhuri became the first Indian boxer to assure himself of a medal at the 21st President`s Cup by advancing to the semifinals while five others entered the quarterfinals in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Playing his first senior international tournament, Gaurav, a bronze-medallist at the National Games held earlier this year, edged past Muhamed Faud of Malaysia 8-7 to make the last-four stage of the light fly weight 49kg division.
"He is playing his first tournament but he has been confident in his approach. It was a tense bout but Gaurav kept his calm and fought very well," said coach Jagdeep Hooda from Jakarta.
There was more good news for the Indian team as V Santhosh Kumar beat Korea`s Lee Yong Hee 13-11 to make the last-eight stage in the light welter weight 64kg division.
Another Indian boxer to make the quarterfinals was Lakhbir Singh, who knocked out Vietnam`s Pruong Dingh Hoang in the third round of his opening bout.
Their wins take the total number of Indian boxers in the quarterfinals to five after South Asian Games gold-medallist Chhote Lal Yadav (56kg), Santosh Harijan (52kg) and Jasveer Singh (81kg) booked their berths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...