Tehri dam issue rocks Uttarakhand assembly
Dehradun: The issue of people affected by
Tehri hydro-electric project on Tuesday rocked the Uttarakhand
assembly with Speaker Harbans Kapoor accepting the plea of a
Congress member for a detailed discussion on it.
Before the house reassembled for the day, several
Congress MLAs led by Kishor Upadhyay staged a demonstration
outside the House, where the Tehri dam-affected people have
been sitting on a dharna for the past several days demanding
adequate compensation and basic facilities in their areas.
However, the Speaker sent Parliamentary Affairs Minister
Prakash Pant to convince the Congress members to take part in
the proceedings of the House.
Later, raising the issue during Zero Hour, Upadhyay
claimed that the previous Congress government had sanctioned
several projects like schools, hospitals, drinking water and
the like for these people but the new government had put them
on the back burner.
He also appealed to the speaker to accept the issue for a
detailed discussion keeping in view its gravity.
The speaker agreed to it but said the date for the
discussion would be fixed later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29