Tehri dam issue rocks Uttarakhand assembly
Dehradun: The issue of people affected by
Tehri hydro-electric project on Tuesday rocked the Uttarakhand
assembly with Speaker Harbans Kapoor accepting the plea of a
Congress member for a detailed discussion on it.
Before the house reassembled for the day, several
Congress MLAs led by Kishor Upadhyay staged a demonstration
outside the House, where the Tehri dam-affected people have
been sitting on a dharna for the past several days demanding
adequate compensation and basic facilities in their areas.
However, the Speaker sent Parliamentary Affairs Minister
Prakash Pant to convince the Congress members to take part in
the proceedings of the House.
Later, raising the issue during Zero Hour, Upadhyay
claimed that the previous Congress government had sanctioned
several projects like schools, hospitals, drinking water and
the like for these people but the new government had put them
on the back burner.
He also appealed to the speaker to accept the issue for a
detailed discussion keeping in view its gravity.
The speaker agreed to it but said the date for the
discussion would be fixed later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof