Tehri dam issue rocks Uttarakhand assembly
Dehradun: The issue of people affected by
Tehri hydro-electric project on Tuesday rocked the Uttarakhand
assembly with Speaker Harbans Kapoor accepting the plea of a
Congress member for a detailed discussion on it.
Before the house reassembled for the day, several
Congress MLAs led by Kishor Upadhyay staged a demonstration
outside the House, where the Tehri dam-affected people have
been sitting on a dharna for the past several days demanding
adequate compensation and basic facilities in their areas.
However, the Speaker sent Parliamentary Affairs Minister
Prakash Pant to convince the Congress members to take part in
the proceedings of the House.
Later, raising the issue during Zero Hour, Upadhyay
claimed that the previous Congress government had sanctioned
several projects like schools, hospitals, drinking water and
the like for these people but the new government had put them
on the back burner.
He also appealed to the speaker to accept the issue for a
detailed discussion keeping in view its gravity.
The speaker agreed to it but said the date for the
discussion would be fixed later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites