Tendulkar inspires me: Bhutia
Doha: The influence of iconic cricketer Sachin Tendulkar transcends any sport in India and national football captain Bhaichung Bhutia says he draws inspiration from him to bring laurels for the country.
India coach Bob Houghton had compared Bhutia with Tendulkar for the influence both the players have in their respective national teams.
Bhutia described Tendulkar as the legendary sporstsperson whose influence goes much beyond cricket.
"I have met him once or twice and obviously he is a sporting legend. He is the sole example of a role model sportsperson in India. He inspires a senior footballer like me to bring laurels for the country," Bhutia told reporters after their training session ahead of India`s last group match against South Korea in the Asian Cup here.
Bhutia said it was difficult to compare between a footballer and cricketer in India but said the amount of time they have played for the country and the service they have rendered could be similar.
"Sachin is different from me. Football is totally different from cricket. The amount of time we two have played for the country and the amount of the service we two have given could be compared," he said.
"Me, Leander Paes, Sachin, Dhanraj Pillay, we played for the country for quite long and can be compared in that sense. But football is completely different from cricket," he added.
Houghton had told a press conference before India`s second group match against Bahrain on Friday that Bhutia has an influence on the national football side just like Tendulkar has on the cricket team.
"The best cricketer in the world is in India. Tendulkar is a very fine role model, a fine person. Comparison with Bhaichung is similar. They are of the same age, they keep going. Bhutia is a major influence on the team on and off the field. He is a leader," Houghton had said.
Bhutia was the first Indian to play professional football in Europe in the post-independence era when he spent three years with English Championships side Bury FC between 1999 and 2002.
34-year-old Bhaichung has played 104 international matches for India since 1995 and he is the record goalscorer for the country.
Tendulkar, 37, is the leading runs scorer and century maker in both Test and one-day international cricket.
Tendulkar, who made his debut in 1989 at an age of 16, is widely considered as the greatest batsman of the modern era.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015