Terror threat to World Badminton Championship
Hyderabad: A terror alert has been sounded
for the World Badminton Championship site at GMC Balayogi
Stadium here from August 10 to 16, with the shadow of the
dreaded Lashkar-e-Taiba looming over the tournament.
Sleuths of the Intelligence Bureau visited the stadium
as well as the badminton academy being run by
player-turned-coach Pullela Gopichand at Gachchibowli here
today to take stock of the situation and alert the organisers
over the possible threat from the LeT, highly-placed police
sources told news agencies.
The Badminton Association of India confirmed the visit
by Intelligence Bureau sleuths though the Cyberabad police,
under whose jurisdiction the event is being held, remained
"Yes, the IB people have visited the stadium and the
Academy and issued a general alert," BAI joint secretary K Ch
Punnaiah Choudary said.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner S Prabhakar Reddy, when
contacted, refuse to comment on the issue.
State police spokesman and Additional Director General
of Police (Law and Order) A K Khan too was evasive saying the
issue was being looked after by the Cyberabad police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!