Terror threat to World Badminton C’ship
Hyderabad: A terror alert has been sounded for the World Badminton Championship site at GMC Balayogi Stadium here from August 10 to 16, with the shadow of the dreaded Lashkar-e-Taiba looming over the tournament.
Sleuths of the Intelligence Bureau visited the stadium as well as the badminton academy being run by player-turned-coach Pullela Gopichand at Gachchibowli on Saturday to take stock of the situation and alert the organisers over the possible threat from the LeT, highly-placed police sources told reporters.
The Badminton Association of India confirmed the visit by Intelligence Bureau sleuths though the Cyberabad police, under whose jurisdiction the event is being held, remained tight-lipped.
“Yes, the IB people have visited the stadium and the Academy and issued a general alert,” BAI joint secretary K Ch Punnaiah Choudary said.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner S Prabhakar Reddy, when contacted, refuse to comment on the issue.
State police spokesman and Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) A K Khan too was evasive saying the issue was being looked after by the Cyberabad police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'