Textiles ministry mulls sops for handloom
New Delhi: The Textiles Ministry on Monday said it will hold talks with its commerce counterpart for sops to the labour-intensive handloom and handicraft industries.
"Handloom and handicraft need more incentives ...we have been consistently emphasising to the Commerce Ministry that we need more to promote these," Textiles Minister Dayanidhi Maran told reporters after inaugurating a handloom expo here.
Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma had recently said sops for labour-intensive sectors like handloom, handicraft and leathers sectors were on anvil.
Maran said his ministry would take appropriate steps to prop up the handloom and handicraft sectors and also hold talks with Commerce Ministry for promoting their exports.
"We will be talking closely with the Commerce Ministry...we have been asking a lot of things," Maran said.
On the prospects of textiles exports that turned positive in November after contracting for more than a year, Maran said: “We still have to be cautious as exports are dependent on external factors."
Textiles exports posted a growth of about 5 percent in November over the same month last year. He said the exports picked up due to demand revival in the European markets.
"Recession in Europe has come down...European markets are doing much better than the US market," he added.
The ministry today launched a week-long handloom expo that will have fashion shows and buyer-seller meets at various locations in the country to promote handloom products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow