Tharoor flays Cong not projecting CM candidate in UP
New Delhi: People in Uttar Pradesh did not vote for Congress as they knew Rahul Gandhi would not stay there to become the Chief Minister, party leader and former
Union minister Shashi Tharoor said on Wednesday.
In his analysis of the results of the UP polls where the party fared poorly, Tharoor made a veiled criticism of the party`s not project a chief ministerial candidate.
"RG (Rahul Gandhi) campaign clicked. UP voters who might have voted 4 (for) Congress did not do so because they knew RG would not stay on to govern them as CM," he twitted on the micro blogging site.
He said the advantage with Samajwadi Party, which stormed to power in the state, was that voters knew who would be the chief minister.
"With the Yadavs, the UP voters knew who they would be getting for their votes; with us they did not. Essential 2 (to) project state leaders," he said.
On the issue of fighting corruption, Tharoor said Congress has worked harder on the issue than other parties.
"Actually, the victors in UP are more strongly opposed to Jan Lokpal than we are. We passed a Lokpal Bill; Samajwadi spoke against," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back