The Republicans: Flag bearers of American conservatism
Washington: Boasting of the only two Indian-American governors, presidential challenger Mitt Romney`s Republican Party is the flag bearer of American conservatism advocating "smaller and smarter" government, fiscal discipline, lower taxes and minimum regulation.
Founded by anti-slavery activists in 1854, Republicans dominated US politics nationally for most of the period 1860-1932 providing 18 of America`s 44 presidents, including George W. Bush, who occupied the White House from 2001 to 2009.
In the current Congress, elected in 2010, the Republican Party holds a 240-190 seat majority in the 435-member House of Representatives with five vacancies. It`s in a minority in the 100-member Senate with 47 members to Democrats` 51plus two independents who caucus with them.
The party currently also has governors in 29 of the 50 states, including Bobby Jindal, son of immigrants from Punjab, who has been the chief executive of Louisiana since 2007 and "Nimrata" Nikki Haley of South Carolina who at 40 is the youngest current governor.
Founded in the Northern states in 1854 by anti-slavery activists, the Republican Party first came to power in 1860 with the election of Abraham Lincoln, who signed the Emancipation Declaration to free the slaves.
Symbolised by the elephant since 1874 when Thomas Nast, a cartoonist for Harper`s Weekly so depicted it, the Republican party has been defined by social conservatism in the 21st century.
Its presidential nominee Romney and his running mate "share a positive vision for America - a vision of America renewed and strong" and will provide "honest results-oriented, conservative leadership to enact good policies," says the party platform.
For it, Tuesday`s election is a choice "between the chronic high unemployment and the unsustainable debt produced by a big government entitlement society, or a positive, optimistic view of an opportunity society, where any American who works hard, dreams big and follows the rules can achieve anything he or she wants."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India