This award proves all the nay sayers wrong: Priyadarshan
New Delhi: Filmmaker Priyadarshan whose social drama `Kanchivaram` bagged two awards at the 55th National Awards including the nod for the Best Film, says that the recognition has proved his detractors wrong.
The filmmaker, who is known for his commercial superhits like `Hera Pheri` and `Hungama`, is delighted with his first national award.
"It has to feel great, because I am a commercial filmaker and it proves those wrong who though I could do nothing but comedies," the filmmaker said.
Priyadarshan`s `Kanchivaram` a period drama revolving around the weaver community of the famous temple town in Tamil Nadu, also won for actor Prakash Raj, the National award for the Best Actor.
The movie, which was premiered last year at the Toronto International Film Festival, is set in the 1920s and revolves around the life of a weaver who finds himself in the middle of communist movement in the state.
The Malayalam director is also pleased about the fact that he beat off competition from none other than film legend Adoor Gopalakrishnan, also from Kerala, who won his seventh National Award, the `Best Director` nod for his film `Naalu Penungal`.
"Adoor is a legend and the fact that I will receive an award in the same ceremony itself is a thrilling thing. And to top it off I also beat him as a competitor, What could be better," says Priyadarshan who said that the awards came as a surprise.
"I was not surprised by Prakash`s win, because he was superb in his role, but mine came as a bit of a surprise. I make films to make people laugh and this was a completely different film and I had my doubts whether it will pay off," said the director during a television interview.
Priyadarshan who was born in Thiruvanathapuram is a close friend of Malayalam superstar Mohan Lal who was a junior of his at college and both entered the film industry at the same time.
Their partnership has produced many cult films including, `Chitram` and `Kilukkam`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi