Thompson, 15, to make pro debut next month in LPGA event
New York: Fifteen-year-old Alexis Thompson will make her professional golf debut at next month`s ShopRite LPGA Classic in New Jersey, tournament officials said Tuesday.
Thompson, who as a 12-year-old became the youngest player to qualify for the U.S. Women`s Open, will turn pro right after representing the United States in the Curtis Cup amateur event in Massachusetts against Britain and Ireland.
LPGA tournament executive director Tim Erensen said Thompson would compete in the USD 1.5 million event on the Bay Course at Seaview starting June 18 by a sponsor`s exemption.
"I am looking forward to so many things this coming June," Thompson said in a statement. "I will represent the United States at the Curtis Cup and then have the opportunity to play at the ShopRite Classic the next week."
"I have played in several LPGA Tour events as an amateur and I am looking forward to making my professional debut that week in Atlantic City."
Thompson was recently named Golfweek`s 2009 Women`s Amateur Player of the Year and the 2009 Junior Girls` Player of the Year.
After her precocious debut at the 2007 U.S. Women`s Open, Thompson qualified again the next two years, and was a triple gold medal winner (individual, team, total team) at the Spirit International Amateur Golf Championship, matching the success of Paula Creamer (2203) and Lorena Ochoa (2001).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Anti-burkini law would be `unconstitutional`: French minister
- Researchers find way to boost gene-editing tool efficiency
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank