Ties with Pak complicated but important: US
Washington: Terming US` relationship with
Pakistan "complicated but important", the White House has said it was "working very hard" on its ties with Islamabad which got a setback after a secretive American commando operation to
kill al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
"It`s vital because, as we have said, that lopping the
head off the snake is important, but the body, while battered
and bruised because of the actions that have been taken over
the years, is still there and we need to bury that body.
We need to keep the fight up against al Qaeda. And
Pakistan is very important partner in that effort," White
House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
"It`s a complicated but important relationship," he
Yesterday, Pakistan called the US commando operation
in Abbottabad that killed Laden an "unauthorised, unilateral
action" without its knowledge.
Identifying Pakistan as a key partner in the fight
against al Qaeda and terrorism, Carney said they have been
extremely helpful and the US looks forward to cooperating into
"We are working very hard on that relationship and it
is an important and complicated relationship that has been
tested in many ways over the years and even this year.
But we are in communication directly with the
President and other senior members of the government and we
are committed to continuing the cooperation that we`ve had
because it is so important both to our fight against al Qaeda,
but also Pakistan`s. And I think we remain confident that that
cooperation will continue," he said.
"We have been in contact at many levels with the
Pakistan government. The (US) President called (Pakistan
President Asif Ali) Zardari the night of the operation, before
he spoke to the American people," he said.
"So while we recognize that there are complicated
differences between our two countries and how we approach and
view things at times, there has also been a great deal of
And that should not be lost. The American people
should know that as they view this and try to view the
complete picture of that relationship within the context of
the successful mission on Sunday," he said.
Pakistan provided useful intelligence and cooperation
over the years, and provided assistance that helped the US
build the mountain of information that it needed to build in
order to find bin Laden and execute this mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video