Tiger Woods apologises for `selfish` behaviour
Ponte Vedra Beach: Speaking for the first time to the public after his fall from grace, an ex-practicing Buddhist, Tiger Woods told his family, friends and fans that he was "deeply sorry" for his selfish and irresponsible behavior. He also announced that his indefinite break from golf would continue till he can earn his dignity.
"I was unfaithful, I had affairs, I cheated. What I did was not acceptable and I am the only person to blame," Woods said at his first public appearance since admitting he cheated on his wife and announcing in December he was taking an indefinite break from golf.
"I brought this shame on myself."
He defended his wife and denied media speculation that there had been physical violence between the couple. The speculation arose after a bizarre minor car accident in November outside woods` Florida home in the middle of the night.
"Elin never hit me that night, or any other night. There has never been an episode of domestic violence (in our family)..." Woods said, speaking to reporters at the headquarters of the US PGA Tour in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.
Accepting his fault, he urged the world to leave his kids and wife alone as they have done no wrong to deserve such pain.
The world`s No. 1 golfer had not talked in public since his traffic accident Nov. 27 triggered shocking revelations about Woods` infidelity.
According to the PGA commissioner, Woods will return to therapy after Friday`s events.
Woods’ last words in his 13 minute statement were, "I ask you to find room in your heart to one day believe in me again. Thank you."
In Sweden, Elin`s father, Thomas Nordegren, said he saw Woods` confession.
"I watched it but I have nothing to say right now," Nordegren told reporters.
Elin`s mother, Barbro Holmberg, declined to comment on Woods` apology, through her spokeswoman Eva Malmborg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people