Tight security as Ivory Coast debut at Nations Cup
Luanda: Pre-tournament favourites Ivory Coast open their African Nations Cup finals campaign in Angola on Monday, amid expected tight security following Friday`s deadly attack on the Togo team.
The Ivorians play neighbours Burkina Faso (kickoff 1600) in the opening match of Group B in Cabinda, the enclave where two members of the Togo delegation were killed in an attack on their bus by a separatist movement previously considered dormant.
Togo departed Cabinda on Sunday night, pulling out of the tournament and leaving Ghana without an opponent for the scheduled second match in Cabinda on Monday.
World Cup finalists Algeria, who have been draw in England`s group for the tournament in South Africa later this year, play their Group A match against Malawi in Luanda (1345).
Group A got underway in Luanda on Sunday in a dramatic opening match when hosts Angola squandered a four goal lead with 11 minutes left to play and ended up sharing a 4-4 draw with Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS