Tight security for badminton c`ship in wake of terror threat
Hyderabad: A thick security blanket has been thrown around GMC Balayogi Indoor Stadium following a reported warning by intelligence agencies about a terror threat to the World Badminton Championships beginning on Monday.
Cyberabad police have stepped up security at the stadium in Gachibowli following intelligence inputs of an impending threat to the seven-day event from Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
Over 250 policemen have been deployed at the stadium, the Gopichand Academy, where the players are practising and at four different hotels where the players and officials are staying.
Badminton Association of India (BAI) officials confirmed that intelligence officials visited the venue and discussed the threat with the organisers. Cyberabad police officials, however, refused to either confirm or deny the reports of terror threats to the event.
BAI joint secretary Punnaiah Choudary confirmed that intelligence officials visited the venue and discussed the reported LeT threat with BAI officials.
The officials of Cyberabad Commissionerate, under whose jurisdiction the stadium falls, merely said fool-proof security arrangements were made for the event to prevent any untoward incident.
Every vehicle going towards the venue is being checked and every person is being frisked. Metal detectors have been installed at various entry points to the stadium. The security personnel have also pressed into service sniffer dogs and bomb disposal squads.
About 500 international players and officials will be arriving for the Aug 10-16 badminton championship. According to organisers, 200 players and officials have already reached Hyderabad.
The reports of threat to the championship came in the wake of intelligence warnings of possible LeT attacks in the city on Independence Day Aug 15.
Central intelligence agencies have already warned that Delhi, Kolkata and Hyderabad were facing a high level threat from LeT. Following this warning, the police have sounded a high alert in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'