Tight security for Javed Akhtar following threats
Mumbai: Lyricist and Rajya Sabha MP Javed Akhtar has been provided round-the-clock security following death threats received by him for allegedly calling an Islamic cleric "insane" during a television debate on a fatwa against working women.
"We have provided security to Javed Akhtar by posting armed guards at his house. The guards would follow him wherever he goes," a police official said.
Akhtar has been receiving threat mails after he commented on the fatwa issued by Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Deoband.
An email received by him on May 12 had said "your countdown has begun".
The lyricist had lodged a complaint with the police on Friday and was given protection since yesterday.
The cyber cell of Mumbai police and Anti Terrorism Squad are probing the email threat received by him.
Reacting to the threat, Javed Akhtar said, "I would not be restricted in movement or speech. I have always stood up for what I think is right and I would continue to do so".
The fatwa had said it was un-Islamic for women to work in offices in proximity with men and decreed that acceptance of their earnings by a family was against the Sharia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug