Tight security in Karauli ahead of Bainsla`s Mahapanchayat
Jaipur: Tight security is in place in Rajasthan`s Karauli district ahead of a Mahapanchayat called by Gujjar leader Col Kirori Singh Bainsla to revive the violent agitation for ST quota.
"Police, Rapid Action Force and Emergency Response Teams have been deployed in the area and foolproof security arrangements have been made to meet any eventuality," Karauli Collector Neeraj K Pawan told reporters over phone.
Senior Police and Administration officials including ADG-Law and Order Navdeep Singh and IG Range Bharatpur Rajeev Sharma are camping in the area.
Bainsla, who spearheaded a Gujjar stir during the Vasundhara Raje government, has called the Mahapanchayat at Penchla Mod in Todabheem tehsil of the district to renew the community`s demand for reservation in ST category.
Bainsla had skipped a meeting scheduled with Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot yesterday. However, a day before he had met State Home Minister Shanti Dhariwal and State Higher Education Minister Jitendra Singh on the issue.
A bill on Rajasthan SC/ST/OBC, Gujjar, EBC reservation passed by Vasundhara Raje government is still pending with the Governor. It mentions five percent quota for four communities including Gujjars and nomads.
Opposition parties disrupted the assembly proceedings and staged a walk-out yesterday demanding Governor`s signature on the bill and later in the day submitted a memorandum addressed to him in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!