Time readers select Assange as `Person of The Year`
Washington: Controversial WikiLeaks founder
Julian Assange, who is in custody in London on rape charges,
has won an online vote to be Time magazine`s `Person of the
Year`, amid continuous leak of thousands of confidential US
diplomatic cables by his whistle-blower website.
The 39-year-old Australian national secured 382,020
votes, which gave him an easy first place, while US President
Barack Obama was in the sixth position with 27,478 votes.
Assange received 148,383 votes more than Recep Tayyip
Ergodan, Prime Minister of Turkey, who stood second with a
score of 233,638.
Pop star Lady Gaga was third with 146,378 votes,
according to the magazine, which said that its editors, who
choose the actual `Person of the Year`, reserve the right to
disagree with the results of the online poll.
The magazine`s editorial choice of `Person of the Year`
will be unveiled on Wednesday.
The annual online vote asks readers to choose the most
influential person, people or things from the previous year.
In the online poll, readers voted a total of 1,249,425 times.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke was the 2009 Time
`Person of the Year`.
Assange is currently in a London jail awaiting further
hearings on his possible extradition to Sweden to face sexual
Based on readers` vote, the top ten people of the year
are Julian Assange; Recep Tayyip Ergodan; Lady Gaga; Jon
Stewart and Stephen Colbert; Glenn Beck; Barack Obama; Steve
Jobs; the Chilean Miners; the Unemployed American and Mark
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand