Tintu Luka wins gold at Karlstad Grand Prix
New Delhi: Top Indian 800m runner Tintu Luka won the gold medal at Karlstad Grand Prix in Sweden in her first of the series of events planned as preparation for this month`s World Championships in South Korea.
Tintu, who won a bronze in the Asian Championships at Kobe, Japan last month, clocked 2:02.58 to finish first. But her effort was well outside her national record of 1:59.17 and World Championships `B` standard of 2:01.30.
Egle Balciunaite of Lithuania was second in 2:02.72 while Melissa Bishop of Canada bagged the bronze in 2:02.80.
Tintu has already crossed the World Championships `B` standard when she clocked 2:01.25 to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games last year.
Another Indian, Ghamanda Ram finished fifth in men`s 800m with a timing of 1:47.25. The race was won by Mukhtar Mohammed of Great Britain in 1:45.90. Beijing Olympics silver medallist Ismail Ismail Ahmed of Sudan was second in 1:46.09. The World Championships `B` qualifying standard for men`s 800m race is 1:46.30.
Karlstad Grand Prix is first of the four races Tintu has planned to run in Europe in her bid to reach peak form at World Championships, to be held from August 27 to September 4.
Tintu will now travel to Holland for a meet in Amsterdam on August 6, before competing in events in Copenhagen on August 11 and in Brussels on August 13.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference