TNTA launches inter-city club tennis
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu Tennis Association has launched a Rs 7.50 lakh inter-city club level tennis tournament to be held in the mornings during the Aircel ATP Chennai Open here from January 3 next year.
The inaugural inter-city club tournament in doubles event sponsored by Sanmar Group has attracted many former Indian davis cup stars including S P Misra and Mustafa Ghouse and national champions like Sandeep Kirtane, Ram Kumar Ramanathan, K G Ramesh and Mohit Mayur.
Addressing a press conference here on Saturday, Tamil Nadu Tennis Association President M A Alagappan said they would make all efforts to make this an annual event.
“Tennis at club level has been famous amongst the past international stars and others but no tournament per say was existent. A constructive and strong league tournament for clubs in Chennai has been going on without break for 70 years and a regular league was also in place in and around Coimbatore cities. This was non-existence in other cities in the country so far,” he said.
Speaking at the meeting, N Sankar, Chairman Sanmar Group, said as sponsors they have been patronising the league tournaments in Chennai for the last 18 years.
“We will only be too glad to make it an all India affair,” he said.
“Initiatives like this will surely keep up the spirit amongst the tennis players, who are actively indulging in club activities and it will also develop fellowship. I am sure a lot of youngsters would be taking to the game when this tournament is in place for clubs through neck and corner of the country,” Sankar said.
Meanwhile, C B N Reddy, Secretary TNTA said that 12 teams with eight players each have confirmed participation in the league-cum-knock tournament.
Teams would be divided into four groups and top finishers in each group would figure in the semi-finals and the winners clash in the final.
The winners would be richer by Rs. 50,000 and the runner-up Rs 25,000.
He said the TNTA had invited 15 different clubs in Indian cities. S P Misra would be representing Secunderabad Club and Ghouse Bombay Gymkhana.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!