Togo team should not have taken bus: local official
Angola: Togo’s national soccer team, who were ambushed by gunmen on their way to the African Nations Cup in Angola on Friday, failed to inform local organisers of the competition they were coming by bus.
Virgilio Santos, an official from African Nations Cup local organising committee COCAN, was cited by weekly sports newspaper A Bola on Saturday as saying no soccer team should not have travelled by bus to Angola.
“We asked that all delegations inform us when they would arrive and to provide the passport number of their players. Togo was the only team not to respond and did not inform COCA it was coming by bus,” Santos.
The bus travelling from the Republic of Congo had just entered the Angolan enclave of Cabinda, where separatists have waged a three-decade long war, when it came under heavy gunfire. The driver was killed and nine others were wounded.
“The rules are clear: no team should travel by bus. I don’t know what led them to do this. The incident would not have happened in the city.”
The Angolan government promised to increase security measures and the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said the Jan 10-31 tournament would go ahead despite the attack.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed