Togo to be disqualified from Nations Cup: CAF
London: Togo will be disqualified from the African Nations Cup finals if they do not show up for Monday`s Group B match against Ghana in Cabinda, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said.
Togo`s opponents Ghana have been told to proceed as if the match, scheduled to kick off at 1830 GMT, was still going ahead, even though Togo left Angola on Sunday evening to return home following the deadly attack on their team bus last week.
"We have not heard anything official from them. They have never officially told us they are not going to play or they are going to play. We are only hearing from them in the media," a senior CAF official told reporters.
"The referee has been ordered to start the match and if Togo are not there, then they will be declared to have withdrawn and be disqualified."
It is not clear whether Ghana will have to go through the pretence of preparing for the match and taking to the pitch. A decision will be made closer to the kickoff, the official said.
Monday`s Group B match in Cabinda was scheduled as the second part of a double header. Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast play the first match at the new Chazi Stadium in Cabinda at 1600GMT.
The Togo squad departed the tournament on Sunday after Friday`s attack on their team bus. Their assistant coach and press officer were killed and reserve goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale seriously wounded by separatists from the enclave of Cabinda.
Togo left on a chartered flight sent to collect them after the attack but had expressed the hope they might be able to return and compete at the Nations Cup.
Several players spoken of their willingness to play on at the tournament but Togo`s government said it had ordered them home.
Captain Emmanuel Adebayor told reporters at Cabinda airport that Togo might come back and attempt to play their Group B fixtures.
The CAF official, however, said that it would be impossible to change the tournament schedule.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!