Togo to play in Angola despite attack, says midfielder
Cabinda: Togo’s soccer team has decided to play in the African Nations Cup following a deadly attack on the squad, even though its government has withdrawn the side, a French sports newspaper reported on Sunday.
L’Equipe quoted midfielder Alaixys Romao as saying the team had agreed to stay in the Angolan enclave of Cabinda for its first Group B match against Ghana on Monday.
“The decision was taken unanimously,” said Romao, who plays for French club side Grenoble.
Rebels of the Cabindan separatist group FLEC sprayed the Togolese team bus with gunfire on Friday, killing the driver and wounding nine others. Two members of Togo’s soccer delegation died on Saturday and one was undergoing surgery in South Africa.
A Togolese minister said on Saturday that the government had decided to pull the team out of the tournament, which starts on Sunday, because of “this dramatic situation.”
But L’Equipe quoted Romao as saying: “We have just had a meeting of the whole delegation and we will be on the pitch on Monday to face Ghana.”
Officials of the team and the Confederation of African Football (CAF) were not immediately available for comment.
However, Manchester City said on their website (www.mcfc.co.uk) that their striker Emmanuel Adebayor, Togo’s captain, was returning home.
“People have died for the African Nations Cup, others have been injured. We can’t let them down and leave like cowards,” said Romao.
“If we stay here it’s for them but also not to give any satisfaction to the rebels. Our government does not necessarily agree with us but we are all determined to play this competition.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past