Togo`s Adebayor retires from international football
London: Manchester City and Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor has announced his retirement from international football.
The 26-year-old, who was captain of the Togo team when their bus was ambushed at the African Nations Cup in January, killing two of its delegation, released a statement.
"Following the tragic events during January`s African Nations Cup... I have made the very difficult decision to retire from international football," he told his Premier League club`s website.
"I have weighed up my feelings in the weeks and months since the attack, and I am still haunted by the events which I witnessed on that horrible afternoon on the Togo team bus."
Togo withdrew from the tournament without kicking a ball following the attack and were subsequently banned from the next two Nations Cups by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
A Togolese assistant coach and a press officer died following the ambush in the northern Angolan province of Cabinda on January 8 and prompted three days of national mourning.
"For nine years I have played for the Togo team and, despite the events in Angola, I have some very good memories of my international career," the 2008 African Player of the Year added.
"The people who were on that coach together will forever be joined by a special bond -- we are all brothers. I will always have the team and the people of Togo close to my heart and wish them every success in the challenges that they will face in the future."
Adebayor made 38 appearances for Togo, who did not qualify for the World Cup in South Africa in June, scoring 16 goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof