Tokyo set to bid for 2020 Summer Olympics
Tokyo: Tokyo hopes a bid for the 2020 Olympics will serve as a symbol of Japan`s recovery from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
Japanese Olympic officials scheduled a news conference for Saturday, when Tokyo`s 2020 bid will be officially revealed.
Tsunekazu Takeda, the Japanese Olympic committee president, told Kyodo news agency "we believe the Olympics will aid in the recovery and reconstruction of this country, and we want to help create a new Japan for the future, for our children."
Tokyo lost to Rio de Janeiro in the race to host the 2016 Games.
The March 11 earthquake and tsunami left about 23,000 people dead or missing in northeastern Japan.
Tokyo hosted the Summer Olympics in 1964 and the Winter games in Sapporo in 1972 and in Nagano in 1998. The JOC has said if Tokyo wins the right to host the 2020 games, regions affected by the earthquake, tsunami and the ensuing nuclear crises, could host some events such as football.
Several major international sporting events in Japan were canceled because of a nuclear crisis triggered by the earthquake and tsunami, but the JOC vowed that would not influence a bid for 2020.
The IOC will select the 2020 host city in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video