Tokyo set to bid for 2020 Summer Olympics
Tokyo: Tokyo hopes a bid for the 2020 Olympics will serve as a symbol of Japan`s recovery from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
Japanese Olympic officials scheduled a news conference for Saturday, when Tokyo`s 2020 bid will be officially revealed.
Tsunekazu Takeda, the Japanese Olympic committee president, told Kyodo news agency "we believe the Olympics will aid in the recovery and reconstruction of this country, and we want to help create a new Japan for the future, for our children."
Tokyo lost to Rio de Janeiro in the race to host the 2016 Games.
The March 11 earthquake and tsunami left about 23,000 people dead or missing in northeastern Japan.
Tokyo hosted the Summer Olympics in 1964 and the Winter games in Sapporo in 1972 and in Nagano in 1998. The JOC has said if Tokyo wins the right to host the 2020 games, regions affected by the earthquake, tsunami and the ensuing nuclear crises, could host some events such as football.
Several major international sporting events in Japan were canceled because of a nuclear crisis triggered by the earthquake and tsunami, but the JOC vowed that would not influence a bid for 2020.
The IOC will select the 2020 host city in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'