Tokyo`s 2020 Olympic bid to include quake-hit area
Sendai: Tokyo`s bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics would include the three quake-battered northeastern prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima as host sites, Japanese Olympic Committee President has said.
Tsunekazu Takeda, upon a meeting with Miyagi Vice Governor Shuichi Miura in Sendai Saturday, said he wanted the 2020 Games in Tokyo to stand as "a symbol of recovery" from the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and the ensuing nuclear power plant crisis.
Takeda said he hoped the Tohoku region could join in on the organization of what would be Tokyo`s second Olympics by hosting soccer among other events.
"We want to help rehabilitate Japan through sports," said Takeda, who also visited an evacuation center on this day.
Miura was all for the three prefectures helping Tokyo with the hosting of the Games.
"The Olympics would be an opportunity like no other to show the world how we have recovered from the disasters," Miura said. "We want to support the movement as much as we can."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!