Toll in Tamil Nadu cracker unit fire rises to 15
Sivkasi (TN): The death toll in the fire at a cracker unit near here on July 20 has risen to 15 with three more persons succumbing to burns, police said on Saturday.
The trio died in hospital last night, they said adding the condition of four others is stated to be serious.
On July 20, seven people were killed and 33 injured, 23 of them seriously, when a fire swept through the unit which makes crackers at Namaskarichanpatti in Virudhunagar District.
More than 200 people were working in the unit at the time of the incident.
Meanwhile, Rs one lakh compensation sanctioned by the government and Rs two lakh each given by the factory management was handed over to the next of kins of the victims last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt