Toll in Tamil Nadu cracker unit fire rises to 15
Sivkasi (TN): The death toll in the fire at a cracker unit near here on July 20 has risen to 15 with three more persons succumbing to burns, police said on Saturday.
The trio died in hospital last night, they said adding the condition of four others is stated to be serious.
On July 20, seven people were killed and 33 injured, 23 of them seriously, when a fire swept through the unit which makes crackers at Namaskarichanpatti in Virudhunagar District.
More than 200 people were working in the unit at the time of the incident.
Meanwhile, Rs one lakh compensation sanctioned by the government and Rs two lakh each given by the factory management was handed over to the next of kins of the victims last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday