Top guns expected to keep quiet in Tour stage 16
St Paul Trois Chateaux: Frenchman Thomas Voeckler takes a lead of nearly two minutes into the third and decisive week of the Tour de France but the leading contenders are not expected to play their hand on the 16th stage on Tuesday.
The stage, a 162.5-km ride to Gap, features only one category-two climb to the Col de Manse with the big guns unlikely to expend too much energy before two gruelling Alpine stages later in the week.
After Monday`s rest day, Tuesday`s stage spoils are likely to go to the rider who attacks on the Col de Manse and holds on during the tricky descent to La Rochette.
The downhill stretch will evoke memories of where Spain`s Joseba Beloki crashed eight years ago, a mishap that Lance Armstrong narrowly avoided as he cut through the field before going on to win the fifth of his record seven titles.
American Armstrong, who quit professional cycling last year after a two-year comeback to the sport, is expected on the race on Tuesday, although no details of his exact whereabouts were given.
Voeckler holds a 1:49 advantage over Luxembourg`s Frank Schleck with Australian Cadel Evans third at 2:06 back. Three-time winner Alberto Contador of Spain is in seventh place, four minutes behind Voeckler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues