Top junior Mangaonkar to take part in Little Masters Squash
Mumbai: Mahesh Mangaonkar, who finished seventh in last year`s British Open for juniors, is among the leading participants in the Rs 2.69-lakh prize money Little Masters Junior Squash Tournament, to be held at the Willingdon Sports Club, Mahalaxmi here from January 12-16.
Mangaonkar, globally ranked 50th among under 17 boys, has been seeded number one in the under-17 as well as under-19 groups in the tournament, which has events for under-19, 17, 15, 13 and 11 for both boys and girls.
India`s top junior Saumya Karki heads the seedings in the girls` under-19 section.
The tournament has attracted 275 entries, with most out-of-state entries coming in from Tamil Nadu, said Ajoy Bhandare of the Willingdon Club at a press conference today.
Among the fancied players from Tamil Nadu are S Velavan and R Aditya, the top and fourth seeds in under-13 boys, S Guhan and Velavan in under-15 in which they are the top two seeds, and Sai Meera and Aishwarya Nambiar – seeded two and three behind Saumya in under-19 girls group.
The boys` winner of the under-19 event will take home Rs 40,000 while the corresponding girls` champion would be richer by Rs 25,000.
The club will bid for the junior nationals scheduled later this year and also has plans to construct glass-backed courts, Bhandare said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics