Top seed Wozniacki ousted by Goerges in Madrid
Madrid: World number one Caroline Wozniacki was the biggest casualty on a day of shocks at the Madrid Open, falling in the third round to unseeded German Julia Goerges for the second time in two weeks.
The rangy, big-serving Goerges, who climbed to 27th in the rankings following her win against Dane Wozniacki in the Stuttgart final last month, won 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
French Open champion Francesca Schiavone of Italy, the third seed, lost 7-6, 6-3 to unseeded American Bethanie Mattek-Sands at the Magic Box Arena while fifth seed Samantha Stosur, beaten in the final by Schiavone at Roland Garros last year, also crashed out to Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 7-6, 6-3.
Goerges mixed up her game with looping shots and then pounced on any loose balls with some aggressive drives, frustrating Wozniacki who gifted her opponent the decisive break in the eighth game of the third set when she sent the ball wide before Goerges confidently served out to love.
Goerges, who is making her debut in the Spanish capital and will play the unseeded Pavlyuchenkova on Friday for a place in the last four, said she was proud of her recent run.
"I tried to get her (Wozniacki) out of her rhythm and not let her push me and be the first to push her," she told a news conference. "I like to play high balls to her backhand and if she goes short I have a chance to go for the shots."
Ranked 21st, the 19-year-old Pavlyuchenkova is the youngest player in the top 50 and her win over Australia`s Stosur, the world number eight, was her second success against a top-10 player this year.
Stosur also fell to Goerges in Stuttgart and the German attributed her recent success to the hard graft she had been putting in with coach Sascha Nensel.
"You have to keep working and believing in yourself and then you see how it ends up," she said.
"There is nothing to say it will stay like that but I am feeling confident right now," added Goerges, describing herself as an aggressive player and naming former world number one Martina Hingis of Switzerland as her tennis idol.
Victoria Azarenka continued her blistering form when she crushed Spanish wildcard Arantxa Parra Santonja 6-0, 6-3 to set up a quarter-final against Lucie Safarova.
The unseeded Czech beat Jarmila Gajdosova of Australia 6-3, 6-3 to reach her third quarter-final of the year after Kuala Lumpur and Brisbane.
Belarussian Azarenka, the highest seed left in the draw at number four, has dropped only five games in her three matches this week and is chasing a third title of the year following triumphs in Miami and Marbella.
In other third round play, China`s Li Na, losing finalist at this year`s Australian Open and the sixth seed, fought back from a set down to beat Italian Roberta Vinci 2-6, 6-2, 6-1.
Czech 16th seed Petra Kvitova, conqueror of second-seeded Russian Vera Zvonareva on Wednesday, and Slovakia`s Dominika Cibulkova are already due to meet in the last eight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org