Torres and Fabregas named in Spain’s preliminary squad
Madrid: Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas are recovering well from injury and have been included in Spain’s preliminary 30-man squad for the World Cup next month.
“In general terms the two players are recovering very positively from their injuries,” the Spanish Federation said on its website (www.rfef.es) on Monday.
Earlier in the day the pair underwent tests in Madrid.
Liverpool striker Torres had checks on the right knee that was operated on last month while a scan carried out on the cracked bone in Arsenal midfielder Fabregas’s right leg showed the fracture had almost completely healed.
After much media speculation, Barcelona duo Victor Valdes and Pedro received their expected call-ups.
Goalkeeper Valdes has yet to win his first cap. Spain captain Iker Casillas and Liverpool’s Pepe Reina are rated numbers one and two so the Barca player is likely to compete with Villarreal’s Diego Lopez for the third slot.
Pedro, another product of Barca’s impressive youth system, has burst on the scene this season by scoring in six separate competitions for the European champions.
Vicente del Bosque’s two years as Spain coach have been marked by consistency and a settled squad but there was room for a few surprises on Monday.
David de Gea, 19, who will be Atletico Madrid’s keeper in Wednesday’s Europa League final against Fulham, earned his first call-up to the squad while Osasuna right back Cesar Azpilicueta and Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez were included.
Del Bosque also kept faith with regulars from the Euro 2008-winning squad who have had injury-ravaged seasons.
Marcos Senna and Santi Cazorla were named despite having had low-key campaigns for Villarreal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh