Torres faces `long road ahead` after knee surgery
Boston: Five-times Olympian Dara Torres was "doing fine" after radical knee surgery but was still uncertain if she will compete at the 2012 London Games.
"It`s a long road ahead of me but I`m glad I finally got the operation over with," the 42-year-old told reporters from her Boston hospital bed.
Torres, who has won medals at five different Olympics, had two pieces of cartilage placed into her left knee Tuesday and will be sidelined for 12-18 months.
"Doctors said it was worse than they expected," said Torres. "It ended up being a 3 1/2-hour surgery. Instead of transplanting one cartilage, they had to do two.”
"It`s the most painful thing I`ve ever gone through. But I`m doing fine right now."
Torres, who won three silver medals at the Beijing Games, said she will probably wait until next August to make a decision on the London Olympics.
"I`m only two days post-op so it`s hard to say how the cartilage will hold up or if it will," she said.
"I`m hoping that I can at least make the decision of what I want to do based on how I feel mentally and physically -- not that I can`t to it because of my knee. I`d like the choice."
Torres, who has won 12 Olympic medals, said she would "love to go for 2012. It would be a lot of fun."
"I`ll definitely be the underdog, that`s for sure," the four-time Olympic gold medallist said. "This will be one of the biggest decisions yet. Having a kid was hard - being a parent and doing my training.”
"But this one is hard on the body. It`s going to be quite a challenge."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly