Torres urges La Liga to start matches earlier
Madrid: Spain`s La Liga must push ahead with plans for earlier kick-off times if it wants to compete with the English Premier League in Asia and the Middle East, according to Spain striker Fernando Torres.
"La Liga...is already lagging behind in not playing matches at 3 p.m.," Torres, who plays for English club Liverpool, said in an interview published in Saturday`s newspaper.
"The Premier League has the best media profile in the world. Part of that success is down to the times of the matches which means they can be watched all around the world, especially in Asia and the Middle East."
La Liga games involving Real Madrid and Barcelona often kick off at 2200 Spanish time (0400 in Beijing) and the professional soccer league has said it is considering playing some matches earlier to tap into global markets.
Real director Emilio Butragueno said last month the club wanted earlier matches and that the arrival of star players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka had created an opportunity for clubs to boost their earnings abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- PM Modi bats for eco-friendly Ganesh Utsav, Durga Puja
- Maruti Suzuki continues to rule PV segment with 7 models in top 10 list
- Monsanto lobbies with US lawmakers on Indian regulatory issues
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH