Tough opener for Sania at Texas Tennis Open
Dallas (USA): Sania Mirza needs a super performance if she has to bring her singles campaign back on track as she has drawn world number 22 German Sabine Lisicki as her first round opponent in the Texas Tennis Open here.
Sania has not moved beyond first rounds and qualifiers in the four tournaments she has played after making a comeback to the circuit post Wimbledon break.
She fell in first round of Washington DC and Carlsbad events and then lost in the qualifiers of Toronto and Cincinnati events.
Lisicki, seeded fifth in the USD 220,000 WTA event, is in top form these days as she reached the semifinals of the Wimbledon and Stanford events apart from reaching quarter-finals of Carlsbad.
She though had lost in the first round at Cincinnati.
Sania and Lisicki are one-one this season in head-to-head record with the Indian emerging winner at Charleston and the German at Auckland.
Lisicki was place as low as 170 at the start of the season but is now close to enter in top-20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter