Tour champion Contador reacts to one-year ban
Puigpunyent: Alberto Contador will speak out on Friday for the first time since the Tour de France champion was handed a provisional one-year ban by the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC) for failing a doping test.
The Spaniard has called a news conference at the luxury Mallorca hotel where his Saxo Bank team have their training base and may indicate whether he plans to follow through on his threat to quit cycling if the preliminary decision to suspend him stands.
The 28-year-old, who has denied using banned substances to enhance his performance, did not train on Thursday.
Instead, he remained at the hotel 20 kilometres outside the capital Palma, and a spokesman said he was disillusioned with the federation`s decision.
He will appear before the media at 1500 GMT with Saxo Bank boss Bjarne Riis.
Triple Tour champion Contador has 10 days to appeal before the federation decides on a final verdict and he also faces being stripped of his 2010 title.
He has been suspended provisionally since August after testing positive for a small amount of the banned anabolic agent clenbuterol during last year`s Tour.
He has denied deliberate wrongdoing, saying the failed test was due to contaminated meat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?