Touted best among G8, Canadian economy on rebound
Toronto: Touted as the best among all the G8 economies during the current global slowdown, the Canadian economy is set for a rebound, according to the country`s top bank.
In a report Monday, the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) said the economy will return to positive growth in 2010 after contracting at an average of 2.5 percent in 2009. According to the report, the economy is likely to grow by 2.6 percent in 2010. It will pick up further in 2011 to grow by 3.9 percent.
"With the financial crisis behind us and the US economy on the mend, Canada`s economic growth is expected to rise steadily throughout the next year,`` said bank senior vice-president and chief economist Craig Wright.
"While challenges remain, a peak in stimulus and infrastructure spending across the federal, provincial and municipal governments, along with low interest rates, should result in a sustained recovery,`` he said in a statement. The Canadian government has spent billions of dollars and the country`s national bank has lowered interest rates to historic lows to stimulate the economy.
The stimulus spending will reach its peak next year, leading to better credit conditions to fuel growth in 2010 and 2011, the bank says.
"The price tag for the stimulus is high with large budget deficits, but it is still lower, relative to GDP, than the peaks reached in the early 1990s,`` the bank executive said.
A resource-based economy, Canada was hit most by the US downturn as it does 85 percent of its international trade with its giant neighbour down south.
The falling commodity prices and the plunging US auto and housing sectors took a huge toll on the Canadian economy.
According to the report, the Canadian unemployment rate is expected to remain high in 2010 and average 8.7 percent before falling to 7.8 percent in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh